July 29, 2012

South America - Chile Puerto Varas, the most beautiful town

I arrived Portal del Sur at 1930pm, met Maria, an absolutely hyper energetic lady who worked there. She put me into a cozy room. One thing in Chile is that there is no electric heater. All the houses are heated by the old chimmy type of wood burning heater. Around the heater, everything is warm and cozy, further from it is cold and freezing. That is how it is in Portal del Sur. Other than that, everything was nice and warming, just like another home. The bed is supremely comfy, a very equip kitchen, cozy living room and spacious dining room. Derek and I decided to cook our dinner. So, we went out to the supermarket and we were happy to see the fresh produces and all the things we could get there. It was my first cook in the trip, turned out I cooked all our subsequent dinners for the next 3 days here.

I was intended to do nothing after 3 weeks of non-stop travelling, trekking and hiking. I was tired and time to rest, thus, I was thinking to spend some nice and peaceful days here. It was also good to type my diary, upload my photos for friends back home. Puerto Varas somehow became the right place to do nothing other than cook, write and relax. 
During the journey crossing the Andes, the guide told us that Puerto Varas is named the Most Beatiful Town in Chile. I see why the next day. It was sunny and Mt.Osorno showed its clear cone from the east side by the lake.
Mt.Osorno, Chile - Apr 2010.

I walked down to the lakeshore and enjoyed the peace and quiet morning under the sun.
Puerto Varas, Chile - Apr 2010.

Puerto Varas, Chile - Apr 2010.

Puerto Varas, Chile - Apr 2010.
Puerto Varas, Chile - Apr 2010.


After sitting there till almost noon, I went to the apple pie shop. Maria recommended me to try the apple pie in one of the cafes, it was nice. A day passed by in calm and peace. The subsequent day was cloudy, but even more peaceful with nothing happening. The only thing was I got so into cooking, I started this habbit of cooking in every stop which I could. It was late Autumn, Puerto Varas is a bit cold, but peaceful and pretty. I had 3 good rest days here.

After 3 simple and peaceful days in Puerto Varas, the next destination to head to was Mendoza - land of Sun and good Wine!
Heater in Portal del Sur, Chile - Apr 2010.

Smaller Heater, Portal del Sur.
Bedroom, Portal del Sur.




Nelly + Melisa in the Kitchen, Portal del Sur.
Dining Room, Portal del Sur.
Living Room, Portal del Sur.

Information Centre, Portal del Sur.

No comments:

Post a Comment