June 25, 2012

South America - Argentina Bariloche, Switzerland another

I have never been to Switzerland, not qualified in saying which  or what is the same.  But for all the Brazilian and Argentinean who came here to enjoy the weather, which was a lot, they thought so.
San Carlos de Bariloche, or short name as Bariloche, got its name from Vuriloche meaning "people from behind the mountain".  This city has all the elements like Switzerland - the architectural development, the alpine, the ski resorts, the St.Bernard dogs and the chocolate.  Yes, even the chocolate! The Bariloche chocolate is especially famous for Argentinean who loves sweet.

For all that, there are two things I would like to remember Bariloche for - the meat and the lake!
Why the meat? It is because I never had so much meat in my life than at Bariloche. For every city that I travelled 3-4 days, I normally will ask the hostal to recommend a nice restaurant to have at least one nice meal for the city.  And in Bariloche, I went to Familia Weiss, a restaurant famous for its vension and trout.  The setting was warming.
Table setting in Familia Weiss, Bariloche
Argentina, Apr 2010.

I was quite ignorant still, at that time, of the size of serving for a meal of meat.  I ordered a lamb steak and it turned out, in my opinion, to be able to serve a whole family.
Lamb steak in Familia Weiss, Bariloche
Argentina, Apr 2010.
There were at least 8oz of meat here.  And there and then, I finally understood what meant by my Argentinean friend that they eat a lot of meat.  The food there was delicious.  The salad I ordered is called Summer Holiday, even though it was almost winter already when I visited.
Salad Summer Holiday in Familia Weiss, Bariloche
Argentina, Apr 2010.
It was the best salad ever I have had.  Avocado, strawberry, mandarine oranges and vine tomatoes made up a Summer Holiday.
Another reason why I have to talk about Familia Weiss, is the service.  While I had very good food in Buenos Aires and Ushuaia, the service there had not made me felt the warm welcoming feeling. While in Familia Weiss, they treated me as every other customer who came to Bariloche for a nice holiday.  They drew people back to Bariloche.

Bariloche is on the southern shore of Nahuel Huapi Lake surrounded by Nahuel Huapi National Park.  The region it is within is called the Lake District for both Argentina and Chile.  The famous "Seven Lakes Route" will take you from Bariloche to San Martin on a beautiful journey. While another lake crossing journey from Bariloche to Puerto Varas in Chile will take you on a 7 cruises plus multiple bus transfers journey, allows you to see the amazing Osorno Volcano on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment