June 3, 2012

South America - Argentina Los Glaciares, Crown of the Jewels

I have not heard about Perito Moreno before until 2010 half way through planning my 3 months trip to South America.

When I was hiking in the Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego, a Spanish couple who had been to El Calafate right before Ushusaia said - you must go, you must see how the glacier ruptures!

There I go, a bus ride that required me to be up at 3am and a stop over at Rio Gallegos.  And 20 hours later, I checked in to the hostel in El Calafate at 11pm. The next morning at 8am, I went straight to the Parque Nacional Los Glaciares. Little that I know I was heading to see one of the most beautiful creations of nature.

Even far from the park, I could spot Perito Moreno Glacier.  Well, that is an advantage to own a SLR lense of 300mm in zoom.
Perito Moreno Glacier - Argentina, Apr 2010.
Perito Moreno is rare, not becuase it is a glacier, but because it is a glacier in a stage of equilibrium.  Alright, you would think what is that mean?  When a glacier is in an equilibrium stage, the glacier is practically, physically growing in size overtime, but also shedding its size over time.  The cycle of growing and shedding created one of the most spectacular scene on earth - glacier rupture event!

The reason for its growth is still a debate in the scientific society.  But the reason it has to shed is because Perito Moreno Glacier sits on the Lago Argentino.  As it grows, it's advances hit the opposite shore eventually.  Its forces clash with the edge of the lake, the pressure built up and creates the rupture that breaks part of its body size and collapses away. The rupture cycle is not regular but naturally depending on the enormous pressure built up. As part of the Patagonia Ice Field in the Southern Ice Sheet, Perito Moreno is not the biggest, Upsala Glacier is, but it is the one which is visible in full fiew from a man-built wooden platform.

I got off the bus, skipping everything, went straight to the viewing platform.  It was late Autumn and almost Winter, it was like the alpine time.  The nicest thing of this national park is, we actually can get really close to the glacier without have to be on the boat.
Perito Moreno Glacier - Argentina, Apr 2010.
The scene is fantastic! The terminus of Perito Moreno is 5KM wide with 74M hieght above the surface of the lake.
Perito Moreno Glacier - Argentina, Apr 2010.
But it real size hidden beneath the water of Lago Argentino, 170M depth below the surface which is more than double the height from what we see on the water.
I finished the whole wooden platform around for about 2 hours.  Back to the cafeteria, grapped a cup of coffee and headed over to the viewing plaform again.  I was very ready, and stand by to sit for hours to wait for a glacier rupture event.  I got a seat and next to me were 2 Argentinean ladies, senior citizen, who had their sandwiches ready with a polaroid camera - those that with instand photos.  They had been there before me, waiting!

It was silence for at least 30 mins, a long while nothing happened.  Then, they must had felt bored, turned, put down their camera, grapped their sandwiches.  Just as they turned their head and started biting into their sandwiches, my eyes switched to the glacier as I heard a huge tearing sound of splitting - JEAAAAZZZ! I raised my DSLR and instantly pressed the shot which was set in the sequencial shotting mode.  In less than 10 seconds, a huge chunk of the ice sheet falling into the water.
Perito Moreno Glacier - Argentina, Apr 2010.
The 2 old ladies were biting their sandwiches, turned their head back to the glacier, seeing the ice sheet dropping into the Lago Argentino.  They quickly grapped their camera and raised it, but the whole process was over in seconds. Well, they just had to wait somemore for another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment