August 30, 2004

Silk Road - Xinjiang Karakul I, journey to the west.

We once thought we might start the journey from the west, Pakistan. The idea was aborted as there were only two of us, both ladies, a bit too dangerous! 
Thus, we plotted the westest point in China, Karakul.

After spending the weekend in Kaxgar, we were ready for our journey to the west.  As we arrived at the bus station, we saw our real journey had just yet begun.
Started off as empty top
Half Full
This bus is actually very "strong".  As we had to go through desert, canyon and any kinds of road conditions, the bus is equipped with the tyres from the tractor.  Thus, it run through sandy road like flying.
One thing about the road here is - always barrier with the Poplar tree, it is very nice and beautiful!
At the 1st resting stop, we saw an Animal Auction Market.  You can find anythings of donkey, cow, sheep, goat, etc inclusive of the internal organ...
Animal Auction Market
I would have to say I enjoy the local grapes so much I bought at every place I could find them.  But the most memorable food I found in the whole journey would have to be the Silk Road "Naan".  The word sounds similar to the Indian "Naan", but it looks like the western Bagel.  It makes from fresh goat milk and salt in a big stone oven.  The legend says the "Naan" is the main source of food the camel team brought for any journeys on the Silk Road.  The reason is because it is made from fresh goat milk and salt, it can stay edible for 30 days. I like the texture and it kept me full at all time.  It smells really good and fresh with a little bit salty and milk bread taste.  I found the combination of "Naan", milk with grapes was my best meal in Xinjiang.
Lovezzz it!
As the journey went further west, the landscape started to change from sand desert to plateau.
6 years before in 1998, I saw this landscape in United States's Grand Canyon.
4 years later in 2008, I see this similar landscape in Morocco's Todra Gorge.
6 years later in 2010, I see this similar landscape in Argentina's Cachi  to Cafayate valley.
The bus journey was really rough and bumpy as we headed to the Karakoram Highway, but the scenery was beautiful, with landscape from plateau to canyon, sandy hill to snow capped mountain.  Even with all these scenes that I had never seen in my life back before then, I could not feel as much as a nomad as more than that specific moment because the journey, the location, the scenery and the people made me felt exactly like a lonely backpacker.

As it was 2004, before I visit countries like Cambodia, Egypt, Morocco, Argentina, Chile, Bolivia and Peru with the similar amazing landscape and history, this journey stamped a permanent mark in my heart.  This journey told me who I really am.


No comments:

Post a Comment