August 29, 2004

Silk Road - Xinjiang Kaxgar III, the unforgetable, honest and passion Uyghur

One thing is very significant as we traveled in Xinjiang, the Uyghur.

The Uyghur, in a way as we first met, do not appear to be fun. As we walked, the kids are real friendly, smiling most the time and innocent.  As I dealed more with them, I come to realized that they are not polished, not diplomatic and not very hygenic at all.  In a first world country, we will deem this people "uncivilized".
But in the course of my journey, I found the Uyghur is up most honest people I ever met in my life.  They bargain, but they never con nor cheat.  May be due to the fact of a true muslim around here.  They may never queue, but they do not hide who they are.  They are loud and noisy, but they are passionate about everthing relates to their own Uyghur. They go out of their way to help, even though we were stranger and new to their territory.


My experience in buying grape, commoner will tell you what to pay, not anymore.  My experience in trying to catch a bus, a Uyghur lady who does not speak Mandarin, shout a distance for the bus driver to stop to wait for us.  My experience in having a Ughur dessert - ice sour yogurt, the stall owner just want us to try more and giving us a big bowl.  Well, two of us do look a bit "out of money" when we backpack, that is the way we want to portray people.  In a way, it works.
Foremost, Uyghur is such sincere people. I can feel it as I took my journey.  It gives me the calling that I love these Uygher and I shall come back one day, is like I keep hearing the old Chinese folks song "In the far far place..." constantly in my hear.  

No comments:

Post a Comment