April 4, 2012

South America - Argentina Buenos Aires, endless architecture.

Writting about Buenos Aires is no easy, this city is like a treasure and the hunting never ends.  I am still at architecture matter.  For once, I need to show something completely different.  For the famous architect who had designed the Malaysia Twin Tower, once was the tallest building in the world, Cesar Pelli, has a signature modern design right across the port.
YPF ( Repsol) Tower - Buenos Aires, Apr 2010.
The look has the shadow of Kuala Lumpur Twin Tower (KLCC).

Metrovias - Buenos Aires, Apr 2010.
In contrast, you can find one of the oldest subway built existing in the world in Buenos Aires. It is underground, does not have air conditioning, open window and some carriages still maintain its wooden bench.  I like it, but imagine riding it in summer with the humility surges and fully crowded.  After riding it myself, I completely understand when Diego told me about his experience in summer.  I still have fun no matter the sweat.

But for sure, the favourite building by all tourists has to be the Casa Rosada.  Beside it is rosy pink, this building portraits history itself for Argentinean.  I love the colour as there is not many buildings in the world has it's sense of soft powdery bricky pink.  Of course, the balcony is known by all to be the very famous place Evita waved her hands to all.
Casa Rosada - Buenos Aires, Apr 2010.

Talk about Evita, we have to take a walk to Recoleta.  Recoleta is more than the luxury shopping and the nice cafe.  Even though everyone will come here to visit Evita tomb in Cementrio de La Recoleta then write and talk about it,
Cementerio de La Recoleta - Buenos Aires, Jun 2010.
one can also enjoy Recoleta by bringing a book, sitting at the outdoor cafe, have a cup  of cafe au lait, enjoy the sun, and the quiet time.  You will realize "Peace is Free!".  I spent 6 weeks in Argentina, but staying 2 weeks at Recoleta.  It is simply lovely.
The classic of all, my favourite, is this building which supposed to be century old, (built in 1903) but with a modern architecture built behind it (remodelled in 1989).  This building is right at the back of Teatro Colon on the intersection of Tucuman and Talcahuano.   The building was originally named Palacio Costaguta,  now is the Tribunales Plaza and the building next to it is the Palacio de Justicia.
Tribunales Plaza - Buenos Aires, Jun 2010.
When we look from the front, the building provides a feel that the modern one is hugging the old one, such co-herent existent.  From the way the two co-exist, we can see the effort the Portenos put in to preserve their cultural heritage, which Malaysian could learn a lot from.  On top, the city council has such a creative mind to put another art piece right in front of it.  By looking from this angle, one can imagine a silent musical on the park is going on.

2 comments:

  1. I am so envious of you, having the time to truly explore Buenos Aires!

    We had so little time in Buenos Aires, and just had a quick city tour, not stopping at many places but passing the buildings in the van....just enough to skim the surface of the city and triggering my curiousity; very frustrating as I would like to have got off at every stop and have the time to truly see everything!

    During the little remaining free time we had, I insisted on going to recoleta and was so glad I did. It's really a fantastic place.

    I want to re-visit Buenos Aires, as I don't consider I had really explored it. So that will be an excuse to go back to South America again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent and I think Diego was right, 2 weeks, for Buenos Aires.
      It really has much to offer. I would have to say Recoleta was really nice, spent 10 nights living in this area. :-)

      Delete