April 16, 2012

South America - the 6 un-Missable Missiones

For it is the dream of 28 years, I crafted my South America journey around Ushuaia. However, the more I research on the continent, I realized that there are a lot more to the continent than many others. I compiled a list, I had to forgo some of the wonders because of time and money limitation and here are my 6 un-Missable Missiones.
Ushuaia in Argentina, Apr 2010.
I know about the national parks of Los Glaciares where Perito Moreno Glacier is, of Torres del Paine where Los Torres are, and of El Chalten where Mt.Fitzroy is.  But, they are all either part of the Southern or Northern Patagonia Ice Field, the third largest ice sheet in the world. 
Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina, Apr 2010.
I always somehow feel that I am more the Robinson Crusoe type of traveller, so I wonder about that little MOST remote island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, furthest away from all civilizations, having it's own sacred statues of Moai.  I can not miss Easter Island.
Easter Island in Chile, May 2010.
Even I been to Niagara Fall for numerous times in my six years in Canada, I read about how  Eleanor Roosevelt described the poor Niagara when she saw the Iquazu Falls, which is 27 times the size of Niagara.
Iquazu Falls in Brazil, May 2010.
I have read about it.  However, I have not realized how famous and awesome it is. As it is on the way in the journey from Chile to Peru, after Atacama Desert and before La Paz, I dropped by the Largest Salt Flat in the world.  Little that I know, the Salar de Uyuni  is mesmerizing!
Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, May 2010.
Of course, I have always been fascinated by Machu Picchu and no one could miss it in a trip to South America. Reading so much about the sacred trail of Inka, trekking it is a MUST.
Machu Picchu in Peru, Jun 2010.
There are other wonders I really would like to go but it just have to wait for another time.  The 1st on the forgo list is the Galapagos Islands in which I am intended to come back for Ecuador in another time.  The 2nd is Falkland.  It is just too far, only flight from Santiago, expensive and not many options for accommodations.  The 3rd is the Chileo in Chile. Just like any other trips, there were just not enough time for reasearch so I missed this one out.
The good news is, I know I would come back for a 2nd journey before the 1st one even started.

No comments:

Post a Comment