April 8, 2012

South America - Argentina Buenos Aires, with all faces.

Buenos Aires has many nicknames, but I think Buenos Aires itself is a good name.  Although with merely 500 year of history, some traditions are long lasting here. One here is about the Argentinean flag.  I was told by all Argentinean that once the Argentinean flag is fly from new, the tradition is they never flag it down.  There is no such thing as change for wash or dirty, or flag raising in the morning.  They only falg it down when they are changing it to a new one.
Monumental Tower - Buenos Aires, Apr 2010.
It is not hard to see Argentinean is proud of their cultural tradition.

The Obelisk located at the Avenida 9 de Julio is an iconic landmark.  You can't miss it as it is like the centre of the compass for Buenos Aires city.  The Obelisk reminds me of those built by the Egyptian and the Roman in Egypt, it is like a guiding light of where one is heading.
The Obelisk at 9 de Julio - Buenos Aires, Apr 2010.
To see the Obelisk, one must walk the Avenida 9 de Julio.  Before coming here, I have read and Diego had also told me about this widest avenue in the world.  I have never guess how wide until I see it myself.  Avenida 9 de Julio is 140 metre (459 feet) wide.  In case you can not imagine it, there are upto 18 lanes for each way.
Avenida 9 de Julio - Buenos Aires, Apr 2010.
The name, is to honour Argentina's independence day.

For all mentioned, let's get back to the Plaza de Mayo.  Across from the Casa Rosada, the Cabildo is still standing although it is no longer in used.  The new city hall is not far behind it, but the Cabildo is still the place where the history is showcased.  In 2011, a laser light show on the history of Argentina was showed here.
The Cabildo - Buenos Aires, Apr 2010.
I would like to tell you all about Buenos Aires, but that is impossible because the conversation will be endless!  Many times we pick up a magazine and read about interview of certain designers.  They were asked where they thought it is most interesting, artistic and cultural place that they think they want to be, the answer is quite often Buenos Aires.  After 2 weeks, I completely understand the reason.

***Note***
I have not written about Tango, the show, both in commercail theater or on the street of San Telmo.  It is because I think it is best for one to experience it themselve.  It is not something easily expressed through words.
The journey will be moving on to nature talks.  But the journey will be back to Buenos Aires before my South America journey ends.  


No comments:

Post a Comment