April 16, 2012

South America - Argentina Ushuaia, the Missiones begin

Before I bought my ticket and start planning for my trip in Oct 2009, Lee Min who runs the Yongo Travel made a 3 weeks trip down to Chile and Argentina in Mar 2009 after his Peru/Bolivia Feb 2009 group went home. I had followed Lee Min's Morocco Oct 2009  group before.  Lee Min's Chile and Argentina trip photos are excellent and provided a lot of recent information and inspiration for me to plan my trip, especially Ushuaia.

Ushuaia in Argentina, Apr 2010.
I was nervous for Ushuaia.  It was a misty morning, Ricardo in Puerto Madryn sent me to the airport.  I arrived Ushuaia on 4th Apr 2010, it was a cloudy afternoon and quite chilly. Ushuaia airport is small (running 1 flight per day from Buenos Aires) and nice.  Come out from the wooden frame building, the air is fresh and Ushuaia is in view.

How many times in your life, you carry a dream for years and finally put your feet down and say "I done it!"? Not many.  My De JaVu feeling started the moment I stepped out of the airport.  Ushuaia, at that moment, seems so serene to me! The airport is located at a small hill out of the town where it gives a full fiew of the town with the Martial Glaciar at the back drop (refer to Lee Min's photos). I stand there and took the whole view and feeling, chopped it in my head.

After arriving at the hostel, I can't wait, pick up my camera and head out to see the town. It was a Sunday evening, all the shops were closed and there was hardly any people on the street.  It was so quiet!
Local Street in Ushuaia, Apr 2010.
The feeling of De JaVu hit me so hard here at this evening.  Coming to a place I had read of, thought of and imagined of for so many years, and it is right in front of me and I am in the middle of it.  
I was glad that the street is quiet, it gives me the chance to absorb things around.  And nobody could see a mad lady running around the street so excitedly!
To many people, Ushuaia has nothing special.  For it is, not much special other than it is deem the SouthernMost City in the World or End of the World.  However, for me, it is the journey it takes for me to come here that is remarkable!

In distance, Mt.Olivia is in view, standing there for all the times Ushauai existed. The look of pile of granite sharply raising in a suitably dramatic way.
Ushuaia with Mt.Olivia at the back drop, Apr 2010.

Mt.Olivia in Ushuaia, Apr 2010.
The vaguely evil appearance delivers the feeling of the wicked witches. This dominating peak will not let you miss him out in any angles from the town and can see Mt.Olivia in every angle from the town.

As the night fall, I was heading back to the hostel for dinner.  And I passed by a house, something caught my attention.
Poppy Flower in Ushuaia neighbourhood, Apr 2010.
It is Poppy flower.  However, to be accurate, there is only 1 Poppy flower grows there.  Later on , I got to know from a Argentinean driver that it is legal to grow 1 Poppy flower (not more than 1) under the Argentinean law. Growing a single Poppy flower in the flower bed does not consider commercialization.
I was thinking - there is no such thing as single or not in Malaysia.  Any possesion related to heroin or marijuana is not far from the death penalty.  Well, it is not a very nice way to introduce my own country in the 1st impression by saying "In Malaysia, possession of heroin and marijuana can result a death peanalty.".  So, I keep quiet.




No comments:

Post a Comment